My Blood and I (30 days of poetry: day 16)

 

Prompt: 16) Blood

My blood and I are so alike,
That I should have a bloody name;
But to the common, this absurdity,
Needs to be explained.
In my body my blood boils,
Flows and runs through my veins:
Just the way bubbling thoughts,
Pop in and out off my brain.
If I'm too happy ever,
You'll see my cheeks and ears:
Redden at the incoming wave
Of rosy and gay front row viewers.
But if my finger's pricked,
The raging blood oozes out,
And in the harsh world outside:
It clots and freezes in a drop.
In a parallel path I see,
What struggles out through my teeth:
The dried up carcass of some words—
My ideas strangled at birth!

Author’s thoughts

‘My Blood and I’ is a poem about the similarities I find between myself and blood. It’s an attempt to step away from overused metaphors and subverting expectations about a poem about the prompt “blood” while experimenting with a style of poetry I haven’t consciously tried before.


I have a gig on Fiverr where I’ll write a poem for you on any topic you want. You can find that gig here if you are interested in availing my service.


This prompt is given by Trisha Saha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 activities to celebrate Earth Day at home🌏

The Wait

Social Media During The Pandemic