Bipasha (30 days of poetry: day 5)

 

Prompt: 5) Bipasha

Bipasha, you kind soul!
You turned your waters into sand, once:
To save thrice born Vasistha,
Husband of Arundhati;
Who tied himself with cords to drown in you.
Bipasha, you were named cord breaker.

Bipasha, you brave soul!
You broke off the conquest of the great conqueror,
The one from Macedon.
Away from home for eight long years—
Perhaps you reminded the soldiers of their homeland!
Or perhaps they were scared away by your rebellious waters!

Bipasha, you lovely soul!
Named after a mighty river,
One flowing through the pages of history,
Timeless, ageless!
Great things are expected from you:
Bipasha, make history your own!

Author’s thoughts

‘Bipasha’ is a prompt suggested by my friend of the same name (though spelt differently). She reminded me that Bipasha is a river and I found out that it is a great river. I wanted to give the poem a grand tone, keeping the epics in mind, because the river is quite important to Hindu mythology and Indian history. Whether I’ve succeeded or not I do not know. But, nonetheless, this is a poem for my friend featuring the Bipasha (Beas) river.


I have a gig on Fiverr where I’ll write a poem for you on any topic you want. You can find that gig here if you are interested in availing my service.


This prompt is given by Bipasa Mitra.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 activities to celebrate Earth Day at home🌏

The Wait

Social Media During The Pandemic